30 September 2011

Fabric Flowers and Fabric Covered Buttons - TUTORIALS

Fabric Flowers: They're cute.  They can be attached to clips for hair clips or to headbands. you can put then on pins and use them as broaches. They can be made into necklaces. They can be sew directly onto clothing. They're pretty great. 
They're also pretty easy to make.  For my flower I'm using this stripped grey and white fabric. It's thrifted, I got it for free. It's cotton. I started by cutting a strip that is 22" x 3" 
I folded and stitched in the ends of the fabric, so that I could have clean edges on my flowers.  After that, fold the fabric in half (length wise, obviously) and gather.  Personally, I have a gathering foot. It's pretty excellent. If you don't have a gathering foot, you can gather the manual way.


After gathering, my strip of fabric measured about 8.5"

The gathering caused the fabric to curl.  Following the natural curling, roll the fabric around until it is about three layers.  I try to have the two ends around the same place so that they flower is the same amount of layers all the way around.

View from the underside

After that, hand stitch the layers together, to keep the shape. I put cool black lines in the picture so that you can see what I mean.  It doesn't require a lot of stitching, just enough to hold everything together.


For the center of the flower... 
I made a fabric covered button
The kit I used is thrifted (of course!).  It was actually really cool and easy to use.

I actually guess on the size of the circle rather than cutting up the packaging. yep.  I this picture you see: the "plastic holder", "metal pusher", button shell, and the button back. Oh, and the fabric, thrifted.

You should place the fabric right side DOWN onto the holder. Try to center it.


Center the button shell over the fabric and then push it into the plastic holder. It will be a bit of a squeeze, but that's what helps the fabric go over the button shell smoothly and tightly.

Place the button back over the fabric, making sure all of the fabric is inside the button shell. Place the metal pusher over the button back and PUSH!  Mine popped in really easily. After that, pop your snazzy new button out of the plastic holder!!

Beautiful! yayayay. I've actually never done a fabric button the proper way before, I've winged it after taking apart a fabric button, but I've never done it with a kit. It was so easy.

So, Attach your button to your flower... and then do whatever your creative heart desires with your finished fabric flower!! :D

So, this is my first full, intentional tutorial. How did I do? I would love some feedback.  
Also. Follow me? Please? :)

2 comments:

  1. me likey! Well done lovely. I'm going to make one right now with my morning coffee! Heck, i wish I had that gathering foot, tho. Singer industrial leaves so much to be desired...
    Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't buy one to use with it? My machine actually uses the easy snap on feet, but I can still use the gather foot.. which did not come with my machine!

    ReplyDelete