24 November 2011

Cinderella Doll - Simplicity 5705

 I've posted a few updates on Mission Princess.   Between her birthday and Christmas, my niece is getting a Cinderella dress, a Rapunzel dress, and matching doll dresses.  I think we've decided that she will get the Cinderella set for her birthday (a week away).  I put myself on a time table to have Cinderella done tomorrow and Cinderella doll done in a week. Okay, so I'm a little off schedule. The doll dress is DONE! It's absolutely lovely. I'm in love with it. I can't wait to finish the matching full size dress. They're going to be so precious




 Simplicity 5705 Doll Dress

Pattern Description:  I made the Cinderella doll dress

Pattern Sizing: 18" Doll

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?  Yes, it did.

Were the instructions easy to follow?  The instructions were easy to follow after I found all the correct instructions.  This pattern package contains six doll dresses, so the instructions jumped around a lot. I would recommend reading through to start off and then highlighting what you're going to be using because there's a lot of 'okay go back to step # #, skip # and then #'  It can get annoying

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?  I bought this pattern because I'm also making Simplicity 2817 for my niece and decided it would be cute to make the matching doll.  I do really like that this dress looks (and is constructed) identically to the full size dress, so they will be a true match.
I will say that I appreciate that this pattern comes with a petticoat pattern and instructions, Granted, I didn't need them and I didn't make it the way the instructions said to... but the child pattern (2817) is clearly pictured with a crinoline/petticoat, yet there is no mention of it at all on the package, much less instructions.  I'm impressed with the amount of of stuff in this pattern and the carefully consideration for all of the elements.

Fabric Used: Poly Satin and Organza

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  The instructions said to put polyfill in the puffs on the sides of the dress. I used organza (instead of the recommended and pictured satin because I wanted the doll dress to match the full size dress exactly), which creates a good volume itself. So, I omitted the polyfill.  I also omitted the disney ribbon at the bottom because it did not appeal to me at all.

Would you sew it again? I'm also going to be making Simplicity 2065 Rapunzel for my niece, so I am going to use this doll pattern again for the matching dress. Except, the pattern doesn't include Rapunzel, so I'm going to be altering for a match. I don't think this will be difficult, though.

Would you recommend it to others?  Yes. This pattern was quick and easy.  My niece is going to be thrilled, and I'm sure any little girl would be delighted.

Conclusion: This is a good pattern, easy instructions, quick construction.  Not something you'll need every day, but definitely a fun project.

Questions or comments? Drop a comment or email me! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment