07 November 2011

New Look 6007 Cape

New Look 6007 Cape! yyeesss! I bought this fabric off of ebay last year thinking that it was lighter weight.  I was hoping to make a jumper out of it... but it turned out to be a really heavy fabric. So, I've just kinda had it for the past year.  I'm not even sure what this fabric was originally for, but I did a burn test so it's definitely a natural fiber. It's also very heavy. Oh, and my scissors wanted to commit scissor suicide while I was cutting it. So, I'm sticking to the theory is that it's wool. yepp. So, I'm pretty sure it's going to be nice and warm, for sure.

Obviously, I didn't make the tie belt.  I'm going to buy a pleather belt to go with this, but this belt happens to be the belt I had on hand... so yea. I'm going to find one that goes better!


There is quite a bit of top stitching going on, I think it turned out well. My only big beef about this is my hem is not pretty.  When I did it quick, I forgot that it would be visible as I move my arms around. So, I think I'm going to get some bias tape on there.




 I DID use bias tape on the facing. I pressed and stitched down all of the seams to cut down some bulkiness.  I'm also considering trying to work in some pockets. Or, one pocket. I just need a pocket, so I'm going to figure out the best way to insert one without it being obvious.  Any recommendations? I also think I'm going to put in some buttons or snaps. Otherwise, I'm pretty freaking happy! :D

Edit:
Above I pointed out how ugly my hem is... well I covered it with hem tape and this is the result.  You can actually see on the left side that I ran out around 8 inches short. Yeepp so if you make this in an XL and use the hem tape - 3 yards doesn't cut it. Barely. I'll buy more tomorrow, but I'm actually in love with the effect of having the black hem tape on the inside hem, since it's visible when I move my arms. I still haven't found the perfect belt, though. I'm going to find it!

6 comments:

  1. Hello!

    This blog post was featured on New Look’s Facebook page. I will include the link to the pages so you can have a look. Please invite your followers to see your post on our page. I hope you continue doing wonderful work and include New Look into your designs. (November 8 at 10:48am)

    http://www.facebook.com/simplicitypatterns?sk=photos#!/newlookpatterns

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow this is it? I love it, it turned out so great after all the pain in the ass cutting you went through

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! It did turn out nicely, I'm so happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, it lookslovely, I spent my whole efening searching for a good pattern when I found this I really wanna make one but cannot find the pattern itself anywhere. Where could I get it? Thanks, Evie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, I would like to buy you the sewing pattern 6007 new lool because it is not anymore for sale in stores. Would you agree? I wait for your answer. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
    NATHALIE

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, I would like to buy you the sewing pattern 6007 new lool because it is not anymore for sale in stores. Would you agree? I wait for your answer. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
    NATHALIE

    ReplyDelete