01 December 2011

The Lace Trim Bonnet




Supplies:
-Fabric: I started with a 19"x9" rectangle and two 1.5" x 9" rectangles for the ties.  I used the same matte poly satin that was used in the matching Lace trim dress. 
-Lace: I used two different laces for this bonnet.  For the front ruffle I used 18" of a 1 1/2" ruffled lace, thrifted from goodwill. For the gather in the back and ruffles on the bottom I used a 3/4" lace. Probably around 22-25" of it, total.  
-Thread: matching the fabric and the lace  
-Loop Turner (optional) 



Some thoughts on the lace. This bonnet was made to match this lace trim dress for Megan's baby, Abbey.
Both of these laces are thrifted.  Surprisingly, they look like a good match.  The larger lace is from Goodwill, I bought it along with a few other colors for a dollar. The one on the right I bought on a spool (which you can see in this post on the dress) for less than three dollars at a mission thrift store.












First: Finish three of your edges. Leave one of the long edges for last, we're going to make a casing to gather it for the back of the bonnet. I did a narrow hem. Each narrow hem took up around 3/4" in seam allowance.
Second, make a casing in the remaining long edge.  I used about a 1 1/2" seam allowance with the last 1/2" turned under.  This pocket doesn't have to be large, it just has to be big enough for some type of ribbon (or in my case, lace) to fit through it to gather.

Next, make the ties.  Fold the two rectangles for the ties in half long ways. Stitch with about a 1/2" seam allowance. Use a loop turned to turn it right side out.  Attach the tie to the front long edge of your bonnet.

Next: Sew on the lace to the front of your bonnet.  I put the lace on top of the fabric, you can also put it under, that really depends on preference.  I turned the edges of the lace for a smoother finish.  I put mine so that it covered my earlier stitching from the narrow hem on this edge.

Gather some of your smaller lace and then attach it to the ends of the ties. Straight stitch them on, just make sure you stitch through all the layers.

Next, Use the loop turner to pull lace through the casing.  Gather it. Tie a bow. And you're done.

Pictures of Abbey Memphis in her matching lace dress and bonnet:

Don't miss out on the tutorial for the matching dress!!



Special thanks to Megan over at MeganMakesCute for the pictures of Baby Abbey :)
Questions? Comments?  Post them! Seriously! Let me know what you think.  If you use this tutorial, comment with the link so that I can see your work :)
Thanks for reading and don't forget to follow me so that you don't miss the next Lace Your Way Through Anything tutorial! I am going to be posting bi-weekly for the next six weeks! Don't miss out on future projects: scarves, bags, home decor, dresses, skirts, and more!

5 comments:

  1. Aw gorgeous! I love the lace and your very happy model too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adorable outfit and bonnet! And your model is so cute! You are very talented working with lace. I am a new follower visiting from Hope Studios. Vicky from Mess For Less

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! What a cute kiddio!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the bonnet! Great job!

    ReplyDelete