07 December 2011

Light Jacket in African Print (Simplicity 2224)

Well, I posted a while back about the bolero-esque jacket I made from Simplicity Sew Simple 1964.  The Sew Simple line contains ONE garment with no variations. This makes cutting out the pattern and following the instructions much easier. I recommend the Sew Simple line for anyone who is new to patterns, because it makes it easier to keep track of what you're supposed to be doing.   I really liked my jacket, so I went through the Simplicity catalog to figure out what full pattern package it had from from. So, when Joann had everything under the sun on sale, I bought the full pattern.

The fabric I used for this jacket is thrifted.  I got a ton of free fabric from Craigslist, and this was one of the only ones I actually liked (I donated 95% of the fabric... I hated it!)  I love this fabric, though. But, it's a cut up funny.. it has chunks missing.  I had considered using this tutorial from Prudent Baby. But, my fabric is cotton and I think maybe too stiff for it not to have a defined waist (because I have a real hour glass, garments without a defined waist make me look much larger than I am) - So, I'll save that for when I have a nice rayon laying around, because it just isn't going to look good with this cotton. I have some hot pink challis. I'm not sure that this is the right choice for me, anyways bahaha Moving on. . .
Although I had almost exactly enough fabric, by length, I had to do a lot of creative cutting to get all my pieces cut out. My pieces did not lay out the way they were supposed to because the two bodice pieces were wider than my fabric, which was not a full 44".  So, the back bottom panel (piece #4) is supposed to be cut on the fold, I had to cut this piece in two pieces, with a seam allowance added for the center.  I was really afraid that I was not going to be able to pull off it off, but I did. Yay!






Pattern Description: Women's Jacket, view B sans lace

Pattern Sizing:  16-24

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Well, if I had done the lace like they did, it would have.

Were the instructions easy to follow? I didn't follow them.  I've made this pattern before in view H so I didn't really look at the instructions.  It's only a few seams though, so honestly, who needs instructions for something like this?

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?  
A lot of people have mentioned that this pattern runs really large.  For view A, which ties in the front, I had to disagree.  For this view, which buttons, I will agree.  However, I need the bust space but don't need the waist space (large chest, small waist), so I just moved the buttons in some. It's more of a blouse than a jacket.  I could have made it one or two sizes smaller, but I'm okay with it.

Fabric Used: 
African print cotton

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  
Like last time, I did pleats at the bust instead of a gather. I omitted the lace. I used bias tape to finish off all of my hems. 

Would you sew it again? 
Well, I've sewn it twice, so I think it's time to put it away and look at all the other patterns I have laying around. But, I've had this fabric for a while and I'm glad I finally got to use it.

Would you recommend it to others?  
Yes, but I do strongly recommend making it based on the finished garment measurements located on the front bodice piece because this pattern as a LOT of ease.

Conclusion: 
I like it. It's a nice casual jacket. 

In other news, I have a few Lace Your Way Through Anything tutorials ready to post. I'm working on a Rapunzel dress and matching doll dress. I'm putting some serious thought into lining my cape now that I've actually worn it a few times, I really think I would like it to be lined.  I'm also finishing up some things for Megan, that I will be sending to her verrryyy soon

No comments:

Post a Comment