15 January 2012

Butterick 5307 - VINTAGE!

Image from here, I'm feeling too lazy to photograph my envelope

Pattern Description:
Butterick 5307; 1960s; Misses' and Women's One-Piece Dress. Semi-fitted A-line dress has contrast or self front and buttoned tab with top-stitch trim. Jewel neckline. Three-quarter length, short sleeves or sleeveless. Optional purchased belts and scarf.

Pattern Sizing: Mine is bust 46


Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes :)

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, I did not have any problems with the instructions. I had to think a little about how the tab went together, but it wasn't hard to understand once I slowed down and actually read it. This was my first vintage pattern so I was nervous, but it worked out just fine. 


What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? Normally I only spend change on vintage patterns.  I spent $3 on this pattern! Big spend (for me!!) I bought it because 1. it had sleeve options and 2. I love the little tab at the neckline.  I have sooo many scarves.  Most of them are pashmina/shawl scarves which I wear almost daily, but I'm always at a loss about what to do with "fashion" scarves. This dress is my answer!


Fabric Used: Linen (thrifted)

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I took in the waist about two inches to get a little less of a bag-dress look. I shortened the dress by about an inch or two.


Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I might, I really like this pattern and it went together very easily.  I'm always really nervous about sleeves, but these worked out just fine. Definitely one of my favorite dresses. I might make it in a more neutral color.


Conclusion: When I bought this pattern, I was so excited about it that I went straight home and pulled out all of my fabric to find something that would work. I'm very pleased with it!




Terrible pictures, I know. Plus, it's pretty impossible to get a flattering picture in a mirror using a phone camera! Haa, whatever. You can see that I did not add the button on the tab, I've decided to use brooches instead.  The top stitching isn't very visible in the pictures, but I did use a darker thread for it, so when  I wear the dress the top stitching on the front is very visible :)

Detail pictures: 
 I used lace hem tape for the bottom hem and the sleeve hem

 I pinked all of the edges and the front two seams are top stitched.

 I used hem tape to cover for the hem on the facing. The zipper is a vintage metal zipper. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment