31 January 2012

The Lace Neck Onesie - TUTORIAL

This is a really quick project that will leave you (and your baby!) with a really CUTE onesie. Adding lace can add excitement to a plain onesie or even cover up a stain!




Supplies
-Onesie, I used a long sleeve white onesie from Wal-Mart. I looked for a thrifted one, but couldn't find the right size with long sleeves at my local thrift store. 
-Lace, I used a 2.5" wide lace trim.  You can use different kinds of lace for this. However, I gathered my lace down the center so I used a symmetrical lace. 
-Matching thread
-Gathering foot (not required)



 One of my favorite sewing things is my gathering foot. If you don't have a gathering foot, you can do this the "manual" way. I set my machine to it's longest stitch and tightest setting. 

 After gathering, I had around 7" of gathered lace.
 Pin to the neckline of your onesie
 I pinned the lace so that it start and ends right under the shoulder overlaps.
 Sew on using a zig-zag stitch
Done! 
Some more tips on picking out lace: because it's going to be around your baby's neck, don't pick a really stiff lace. You don't want it to be very scratchy, it might annoy your baby :)

Thanks to Megan over at MeganMakesCute for the pictures of her baby, Abbey, in the lace onesie!  The tutu Abbey is wearing is a one layer variation of my petticoat tutu, you can find the full tutorial for the two layer tutu here.  For the baby version, I simple skipped the bottom layer of tulle!
Questions? Comments?  Post them! Seriously! Let me know what you think.  If you use this tutorial, comment with the link so that I can see your work :)
Thanks for reading and don't forget to follow me so that you don't miss the next Lace Your Way Through Anything tutorial!

3 comments:

  1. Aw! Adorable! Good job!

    I've just started a link party devoted to projects inspired by pinterest.
    Very Pinteresting Party

    I'd love for you to come by and check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love lace and on a little girl it is too cute! I am having a Valentine's Day Linky Carnival and would love for you to link this up:>

    http://blissfulanddomestic.blogspot.com/2012/02/valentines-day-countdown-linky-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I posted in both link parties and put the buttons in my Link Party section!! Thanks for the invites!

    ReplyDelete