07 February 2012

Simplicity 2145

I know I've talked about this a few times, but here are some terrriibbbllee pictures of my beloved new dress.





 Lace Hem. Seams pressed out covered.

Button Closure on Cuff

Pattern Description:  
Misses dress with cowl neck, empire waist, and inverted pleats

Pattern Sizing: 
Pattern sizes 12-20

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? 
Yes.

Were the instructions easy to follow? 
Yes, they were easy.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? 
 I loved the cowl neckline and the sleeve options. Normally I prefer an actual waistband, but the pleats created a good structure and the extra *design features* were nice, especially since I used a very loud print and it was nice to have a way to through in a solid color.

Fabric Used: 
Challis/Rayon

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: 
 There was not a whole lot of ease in the bust.  I suppose this is because the front of the bodice is bias cut. but, I needed mine to be bigger than the largest size (bust 42). I made a muslin out of some scrap fabric I had laying around. It was too small in the front and too short. So, I added four full inches straight down the center of the bodice and pleats to take the four inches out at the very bottom of the bodice so that the bottom of the bodice and the top of the skirt would match up, since I didn't need to adjust the waist of the dress. I also lengthened the bodice by an inch and half all the way around, I'm tall and busty. I had added an inch to each side of the back bodice pieces, but then my shoulders were slouchy and the sleeves didn't sit where they were supposed to. Ooops! So, I pulled the zipper out and redid it without the extra and it was fine. I didn't bother with a technical FBA because it is a cowl neck. It worked out well the way I did it.
 I left out the little drappy thing on the front which was supposed to go with the pleated band. I liked the band alone, I didn't need to add bulkiness. 
Because I wasn't paying attention, I saw that the envelope said I needed two buttons and assumed it was for the cuffs of the sleeves. Nope, design feature.  However, I had already made fabric covered buttons to go with the dress, so I decided to use them exactly the way I had originally though I would. So, i ignored most of their instructions for the cuffs and didn't sew them as a continuous circle. Instead, I opened the sleeve seam about 2.5" back and left the cuff open and added my buttons and buttonholes. It was not a lot of work, but i think it is a nice detail to make the dress feel more professional.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? 
I'm not sure if I would sew it again, since I don't know that I would want two of a such distinctive dress. However, I'm absolutely thrilled with how this dress came out! So, I wouldn't rule out sewing it again.  I definitely recommend it to others!

Conclusion:
I've had this fabric laying around for a while. I bought the end of a bolt (4.5 yards) in may because I loved it. I decided as part of my effort to make more structured garments, I would finally use this fabric. I went through all of my sewing patterns (including the 20 new simplicity ones I bought a few months ago when they were all on sale at Jo-Ann), and I was very disappointed to see that all the dresses that were the style I wanted were for stretch fabrics only. I must have pulled patterns for seven dresses, and this was the only one that was appropriate for woven fabrics. I didn't want to take any BIG chances with this fabric. After decided I had enough fabric to cut the bodice again if I needed to, I decided to use this pattern. I'm so happy I did.

Other notes: So, I have been focusing on sewing slower, and making better things. All of the seams on this dress are covered with either seam tape or bias tape (I got a roll of it for a dime at a thrift store). The hem and the turned part of the bodice both have lace hem tape. A little too much effort for a rayon dress, I know, but it's kind of like homework. Over the summer I basically threw together a bunch of maxi dresses, almost never from patterns. That's great for the summer, but not for every day life. I'm notorious for a bunch of random small projects. I'm just stuck on instant gratification.  However, I've been slowly working on this dress for over a week. Every time I felt myself rushing, I would just stop. I'm trying to develop patience and work harder at making quality garments rather than quantity. 

What's next on my list?
Well, I need to finish my niece's rapunzel dress before Valentine's day (Simplicity 2065). I'm considering doing a lace trim cardigan with a grey knit I have lying around.  My friend's sister is requesting one of those draped front cardigans - I made one for my friend, the sister wants her own! And you know, a few small projects. I recently bought two rayon prints, enough of each to make a dress. (I like rayon, okay!!) So, I'm going to have to put some thought into that. After I finish the rapunzel dress and the cardigan. 

In Other News . . . 
My "Lace Trim Baby Dress" is now available for purchase on Etsy. The dress, pictured in a pale green, is available in a variety of colors and comes with a matching bonnet. The dress and bonnet are made to order. So, if you're interested you can see my posting here.

3 comments:

  1. I've had this patern in my stash for a while and never given it a priority, but yours is so pretty and the details are so nice, I think this one just jumped to the head of the pile.
    Nicely one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Yea, it is a really great pattern, I love how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete