16 February 2012

Simplicity 2065, Rapunzel




Pattern Description: Tangled Rapunzel Dress

Pattern Sizing: 3-6, Child  

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, I picked richer colors, but I really love the way it turned out, very beautiful. 

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, if I had followed all of the instructions they would have been super easy to follow, but see following questions for why it didn't really matter to me. If I were the type of sewist who followed all instructions, they would have been good for me. I tend to do what I want, though, when thing are self explanatory.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?  The pattern is really cute. One note however is that I mentioned in my review for the Cinderella dress that I was annoyed that it was picture with crinoline, yet didn't note that on the envelope at all. So, I made a crinoline based on my own petticoat tutu design which you can see here: Tutu Tutorial.  For this dress, it included instructions for how to sew in tulle for a petticoat type thing. I think having that attached the the dress is kind of pointless when you could just have instructions for one thing that can be used with multiple dresses! However, much credit to Simplicty for including the feature in this dress which was left out on the other dress.
Another thing I did not love about this pattern was the whole underlining+facing thing going on at the neckline. A lot of unnecessary bulk.  I ended up putting the interfacing for the facing directly on the bodice pieces. I stitched in the lining by hand and attached all of the lace and gimp trim by hand as well with invisible thread.


Fabric Used: Polyester Charmeuse and Organza

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I skipped the lining and petticoat for the skirt because I have already made a separate crinoline for my niece. So, the lace for that was omitted as well.  I only put one trim on the organza overskirt, a matching mauve gimp. I attached it by hand.
I put in the bodice lining in by hand for all enclosed seams. I think the way simplicity's instructions were for this to be an underlining was aimed at a quicker sewing project for a wear once costume. So, like the Cinderella dress, I put in the lining by hand so that there are no raw edges. My niece wears the Cinderella dress everywhere her dad will let her, so I put more time in for a garment that will stay together longer.
All of the vertical seams on the skirt were french seams. Zipper was handpicked.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I have no plans to sew another Rapunzel dress, but I would definitely recommend it. It came out really cute, and I appreciate that the pattern included eyelets instead of some cheaper method of mocking the lace up in the front. 

Conclusion:  Good pattern, very cute. My niece is going to love it (Valentines day gift!)

No comments:

Post a Comment